Over a year has passed since one of the most ill prepared people to ever run for public office was elected as the 45th president of the United States. Need I remind you of the hundreds of outrageous statements emanating from the White House and the possibility of a pending nuclear war? Whether you like the current president, as apparently 35% of the American voters still do, is beside the point.
The most pressing problem facing our country is the total lack of experience of anyone at the White House and the apparent forgiveness of this from many Americans.
In 2003, a gentleman by the name of Lawrence Britt had an article in Free Thought Magazine entitled “The 14 Characteristics of Fascism.” This was over 15 years ago, while the current occupant of the White House was still busy filing bankruptcies and stiffing contractors for their jobs. Mr. Britt reminds his readers that certain countries such as Germany, Italy, Spain, Indonesia, Chile, and China were at one time and some still are totally fascist countries.
Our country is ominously heading in that direction unless concerned citizens rise up, resist this movement, and vote out these enablers of the current White House and get them out office as soon as possible.
We need constitutionally astute representatives who will vote country over their own party. These are their characteristics:
- Powerful and Continuing Nationalism. Ever since this president started his campaign, he started off with patriotic mottos, slogans, and flags galore. He orders owners of football teams to fire anyone who does not recite the pledge of allegiance or salute the flag. He actually called members of Congress who did not stand up and applaud him at the State of the Union address “wildly un-American and treasonous.”
- Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights. Fear of enemies and the need for security is the watchword today. Therefore, human rights can be ignored, torture is approved (Guantanamo), long incarcerations are the norm, and the people either approve or look the other way.
- Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause. There is a patriotic frenzy to eliminate a perceived common threat – be it racial, ethnic, or religious minorities. The press is the “enemy of the people”, the mainstream media biased, and everything written bad about the president is “fake news”.
- Supremacy of the Military. Today over 50% of our national budget goes to “defense.” They might as well go back to the original name of the 1940s, the War Department. Soldiers and military service is glamorized although 45 took 5 deferments during the Vietnam War. Now he wants a military parade in D.C., something never done before in our history. The only people that have these parades are Russia, China, and some other dictatorial countries. He wants to outdo other dictators.
- Rampant Sexism. His administration is male dominated. He constantly ridicules any woman who stands up to him. His policies hurt women, denying them healthcare. There is blatant homophobia and anti-gay legislation.
- A Controlled Mass Media. This administration openly attacks all major media except for Fox “News.” He only watches Fox because they have never criticized him at any time and were partially responsible for his victory.
- Obsession with National Security. Fear is used as a motivational tool. Border Wall. Secure Border! Stop the brown hordes from the South and from Muslim countries. Ironically, the greatest threat to our national security comes from within the White House where a great majority of people serving have or did have Russian ties.
- Religion and Government are Intertwined. Trump cynically uses religion to control the masses, as if churches have not done that successfully for over 1000 years. 80% of Evangelicals voted for him and still support him and say that God forgives Trump for all of his sins. “Religious Freedom” means freedom to discriminate on what you think God likes or dislikes.
- Corporate Power is Protected. All of his executive orders have been to protect the wealthiest and snub the common man. His millionaires in Congress voted a massive tax break for the wealthiest 1% of Americans.
- Labor Power is Suppressed. Now that this administration controls Congress, unions are outlawed and minimum wages never increase.
- Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts. 45 attacks entertainers for their freedom of expression, and funding for the arts are severely curtailed. He has appointed the most anti-science and the most anti-education cabinet members in recent memory.
- Obsession with Crime and Punishment. 45 demands that all suspects arrested be roughed up and summarily convicted. He called the acquittal of an undocumented alien in San Francisco “disgraceful” (his favorite word) and has no respect for the Bill of Rights or the Constitution. Astonishingly, this Law and Order President is the first in history to daily attack and tear down the most respected law and order institution in the entire world – the F.B.I. He also tears down the C.I.A. and all the intelligence agencies.
If you read Mr. Wolff’s book, Fire and Fury, you will see that 45 has the attention span of a 10-year’old. You will see that he never thinks before making any public utterance.
- Rampant Cronyism and Corruption. This administration appointed close family members, friends and associates who have spent the last year in office enriching themselves. He has spent a third of his time in office at Trump owned business and golf courses. He asks foreign dignitaries to come visit and stay at his Trump Hotels and his ostentatious Mar A Lago in Florida, where it costs $200,000.00 per year to brag that you are a member.
- Fraudulent Elections. Elections in fascist nations are a complete sham. In our country, the Republicans make sure they keep getting themselves elected by gerrymandering and elect judges that will agree that they should stay in power. Special Counsel Robert Mueller is investigating how the Russians were able to hack our elections and how they plan to hack our upcoming mid-term elections. To this date, Trump has never acknowledged Russian wrong doing and is still inviting Russian spies to the Oval office. He is releasing memos that he thinks may vindicate him. He will not be vindicated.
Every single characteristic of a fascist nation is in front of us, being practiced daily by this administration. For those of you who still support him no matter what, that is your right as an American citizen and voter. However, do not say that you have not been warned. If you continue to enable this wannabe dictator into complete control of this Country, remember the words of the 1935 Sinclair Lewis book “It Can’t Happen Here.” It most certainly can.